Tuesday, December 7, 2010

SNOW

As a little girl, the excitement of a big snow fall was one of the best things in the world! I have so many WONDERFUL memories of the winters from my childhood. Laying in bed, way back before the internet and tv news scrolls, listening to the seemingly endless list of school closings being read by the familiar voice on the radio, just praying to hear that our school was included on that list.  Taping plastic bags around our feet before shoving them into boots. Being so bundled up that we would be sweating before we even went outside.  Tripping over my sisters and dogs to be the first one out the door!  I couldn't wait to get out there, arms outstretched, mouth open wide, tongue out catching the snow!

My parents made it so magical for us!  I loved watching my parents become little kids themselves.  They were the best at snowball fights and snow forts and giant snow men.  They spent so much energy dragging us back up the hill for what felt like hours, just for the quick rush of the sled ride back down! Coming inside and leaving the sopping wet mess of coats, boots, mittens, scarves, and hats piled high by the door. Then mom would make us the best hot chocolate ever! 

For thirty two years I have loved snow!  I love waking up in the morning and just being able to feel that the snow has fallen over night.  I love the clean, pure, untouched blanket of white covering the world outside my window.  I love looking out the windows at night, watching huge snowflakes rapidly crisscrossing through the yellow glow of the streetlights.  I have ALWAYS loved the snow!



This year, however, I am not having the same warm fuzzies that I normally get with the first snow fall!  I'm distressed by it! I'm too cold, and I wasn't ready for it yet!!!  I think there are several reasons for this current annoyance with the snow!  First reason being that last year we had the biggest snow fall that can I remember! Thirty Two inches fell in my little western Pennsylvania town in a matter of a few hours!



Don't get me wrong, it was FUN!  My kids will remember that snowfall for the rest of their lives.  People will talk about that storm for years to come.  It was fun for the first day!  But that night the temperatures were SO COLD!  And then we were trying to dig out of that mess.  Schools were canceled for a week, and people were stuck in their homes without power for days on end.  There was snow left from that storms for WEEKS!!!

The second reason that I feel differently this year is my shift in thinking when it comes to food.  Particularly food as comfort.  I really think that some of the warm fuzzies that I would get each time there was significant snow fall, was more about the idea of going to the grocery store and stocking up on huge amounts of glorious comfort food!  I would be elated after getting home and stuffing the fridge and pantry with enough to food to feed our town for the next few days!

So tonight all I can think about is Chicken and Dumplings, a huge bowl of "real" pasta (the kind loaded with refined carbs), homemade chocolate chip cookies, and a gigantic Christmas mug filled with hot chocolate (2 packets and 2 inches of mini marshmallows)!  I want to blow 72 days of my "abstinence" because of the WEATHER!  That is insanity! Seriously, how can something as simple as precipitation make me want to throw away everything that I have been working for?  Don't worry, I am not going to give in!

There is one last reason that I can come up with regarding my disdain for the snow that continues to fall on Leechburg this evening....  Maybe I am just getting OLD!


6 comments:

  1. Try to enjoy the snow - Love the pics - I know you won't give into the comfort!! There is so much more comfort in knowing you will be alive for your grandchildren!!!

    I love you and I'm so proud of you for being strong! GOD KNOWS it is not easy!!! BUt it worth it!!! LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah humbug.........you best not be getting old...or else I am screwed!!!! Good thing you don't live in VA b/c then you would have the reason that all these Virginians get koo-koo about like 1 little snow flake. They were talking about "trace" snowfall on the news for 4 days before it happened...and trust me...it was trace!!! Love you---hang in there. Hot tea is warm and comforting too, give it a try as an alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg...first of all....wow! WhaT a great writer u r. Second of all.....something that always saves me from gaining the comfort winter weight. (And it may sound silly) but on those nights that I particularly feel like indulging I skip the sweats and put on a pair of shorts or a tank top! Something about more revealing clothes helps me from diving into the snack drawer and opt for something healthier!! Its VERY easy to eat 13 oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and down a vat of steamy hot chocolate in sweats that have enuf material to recover the sofa that I have ever so lovingly camped out on! And last and most importantly.......you R getting old!!! Lol!! We all r! Snow is still fun and amazing........for about a day! When was the last time u saw a 4 year old shoveling the driveway or pushing a car out of a slushy ditch? Doesn't happen. Thats y we grow to loath snow. It means more work!!! Kids get snow days adults get 20 questions during a usually quiet Dr.Phil!!! So stick to ur guns and know that we r all right there with u!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about healthier chicken and dumplings? Whole wheat flour and buttermilk with some baking powder for the dumplings?

    As for snow, when I hear it's coming here, I freak about getting all the laundry and dishes done in case the pipes freeze. Plus the extra laundry demand with triple layers on the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the words of wisdom!

    @Erin, AS ALWAYS, thanks for being everything that you have been to me... you have been a constant support on this blogging journey and I would have quit weeks ago without your encouragement!

    @Ang, Tea has been my life saver!

    @Mandy, thanks for the compliments ;) I also like the idea about tank top and shorts... it is much easier to be lazy about everything while all snuggled up in sweats! And the Dr Phil 20 questions thing made me literally laugh out loud!

    @ Ellen, the aunt ... LOL, I have switched to whole wheat pastas and things that are already made for me and come in a box :) But haven't tried baking with the whole wheat flour and stuff yet, (pretty much only b/c of the emotional attachment and didn't want to get discouraged) but I am excited to try that soon! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete