Friday, June 17, 2011

Therapy

Geez, these blog posts keep getting further and further apart!  This "Journey to a Healthier Me" has been much different than I thought it would be, taking different paths that were not on my "planned" route.   I honestly started this process thinking primarily of changing my physical health by losing weight. I knew that dealing with this food addiction would involve facing my feelings and making changes in my mental and spiritual health,  but I thought that I would be able to do that by losing weight.  Instead I have learned that the opposite is true.   That I need to first change my mental and spiritual health, and that will help me to be able to let go and lose the weight.

This journey has led me to a place that I have been avoiding for a while... therapy!  I don't even know exactly why I have avoided therapy.  I mean I have my degree in Mental Health Social Work, and whole-heartedly believe in the process... for other people.

One of the reasons I have become so unhealthy in so many areas of my life is because of avoidance. I have avoided feeling any uncomfortable feelings for years now.  I have done this by eating to numb feelings.  I have done this by avoiding situations where I would feel uncomfortable.  By doing so, I have made myself physically unhealthy with too much food, I have let my anxiety and stress snowball out of control, and I have missed out on some great experiences.

I have come to the realization that I can't avoid things anymore.  I took a break from blogging, even avoiding blogging, because it started to get uncomfortable to share my feelings. But if I am going to be genuine about this journey and about what it will take to get to the healthier me, I must stop avoiding.  So, after a few really bad weeks in a row, I made an appointment with a therapist.

I have been going weekly for about a month now and I can already see changes in myself.  At first it made the food thing harder because I was starting to eat again to numb the feelings that were being brought up in my sessions and throughout the weeks.  But I have pulled myself back in with that part and learning all over again, that it is easier to maintain an abstinence from overeating than is is to get it back after losing it.

I am learning a lot about myself and about relationships.  I am now accepting the fact that I am codependent and that I need to make some major changes in my life.  I have to spend much less time consumed with other people's problems, needs, wants and desires and focus on my own.  I need to continue to heal and to break these chains that have held me back for so long... Even if it means experiencing and feeling things that make me uncomfortable.

6 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you Meggie Bug. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there and share your feelings, no matter what they are. Keep up the hard work! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you - miss you and love you - think of you often - wishing you love and strength from afar:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. karl@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. The geographic area that is now the country of Jordan was for centuries a sparsely populated and highly tribalized desert region within the lurkish-controllcd Orcoman Empire, the population is overwhelmingly Arab and Sunni Muslim, although Christian Arabs,The New Jordans, Circassians, and other minorities have lived in this area for centuries. The Ottoman sultan in Istanbul was the ulrimate source of power for this political system, but he remained a distant figure who usually did little to help develop this highly impoverished portion of the Empire. The Ottoman authorities were feared more than admired by the desert villagers and townspeople of this region for rheir policy of conscripting local men into the Ottoman army for long periods of service. Such losses were an added hardship for Arab tribes and families attempting to make a meager living in a harsh desert environment. I he loss of young men to the Ottoman militarv reduced the number of individuals available to help provide for the subsistence of these areas and, more importanrly,Jordans Shoes, reduced the ability of local defenders ro fend off atracks by tribal raiders or brigands.

    Ottoman control of vast tracts of Arab territory ended as a result of the Empires defeat in World War I and the subsequent dismemberment of former Ottoman territory by the victorious Allied powers. As part of this transition, the country now known as Jordan began irs separare political existence as Transjordan, a British League of Nations mandate established in 1921. Transjordan began its unpromising existence with arbitrary borders established without significant regard for the population and with few natural frontiers except the Jordan River,Retro Jordans, which was used as the boundary with the western portion of the Palestinian mandate, also established after World War I. Transjordan was created as a separate political enticy from Palestine on the initiative of key British leaders,jordan releases, including then-Colonial Secretary Winston Churchill. As such, it was not subject to Jewish immigration, which was allowed in Palestine in accordance with the 1917 Balfour Declaration. The country was established with British aid with the expectation thar it would help support the interests of the United Kingdom within the Middle East as a friendly client state garrisoned by British-trained and led local forces rather than significant numbers of British troops.

    ReplyDelete