Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Manic Monday


 
OK, so maybe I should not have gone to bed with my house in the state it was!  It is only 9:00 AM and I am ready to see this day come to an end!!  Either that or start it over! 

Let’s start with this statement.  “I am not a perfect parent!”  My seven year old son lost a tooth last night.  He has been working on this one for WEEKS!  My husband pulled it out before bed so that he would not be up crying half the night that he was scared to pull it out all the way!  YAY DADDY!  So anyways, in the midst of the unorganized and messy chaos, we were doing bed time and bath time.  After reading my daughter her book, I went in to my sons room. Lately when I look at him or talk to him, I feel like he is getting so big. I stop treating him like a 7 year old and expect too much of him sometimes!  Until I see my skinny little guy tonight in his transformer pajamas. (All summer it was too hot in our un-airconditioned house to sleep in real pajamas.)

When I walked into his room and saw him so excited to leave the tooth under his pillow, it made me remember he is still such a little kid!  He was asking my husband whether he thought the Tooth Fairy would bring him five dollars instead of one.  We both said, I don’t think so, maybe when your silver tooth falls out (he has a crown).  So he gets on his knees and starts BEGGING the Tooth Fairy for more money.  He spent time writing a note stating the reasons why he deserved it and making sure to say please and thanks you to her.

Fast forward to 6:30 am…  I woke up energized and feeling good. That is until I opened my eyes and saw my husband digging through the mounds of laundry to find a pair of clean underwear.  I felt bad, guilty, and overwhelmed all over again.  So I jumped out of bed and started to fold laundry while my husband, who was late and rushing to get out the door, tore through things to find what he needed.  All I can think is I hate this and I suck.  I close my eyes and think, its ok, its going to be a good productive day.  That’s when I hear my husband getting in his truck outside and hear my son stirring in his room…  OH FUCK, I bet he forgot to be the Tooth Fairy after I crashed last night.

I dial my husband’s cell to catch him before he leaves.  He too says, fuck, I forgot. So he attempts to quietly rush upstairs, and tries to find 5 ones b/c my sweet little guy does put up with so much and deserves to have a little magic in his life!  I start to write a quick note back to him about asking so nicely and being a good kid.  I also include the fact that this is just a one time deal, and maybe he’ll get a little more for the silver tooth, but after this one it goes back to a buck!  ~Love The Tooth Fairy.  So my husband becomes a ninja and somehow is able to do the switch of tooth and money.  He kisses me goodbye and starts to walk downstairs.  Within seconds my son, all sleepy eyed and crazy-haired, flies into my room jumping up and down with such JOY.  “It worked, It worked, It worked!”  look she wrote back, help me read it! NO wait, I’m gonna catch dad before he goes, he isn’t going to BELIEVE this…..    DAAAAAAADDDD WAIT!  And with that he dashes downstairs.  WHEW!!!  I am not a perfect parent, but somehow we survived that one!

So the excitement of the morning has woken my 3 year old earlier than anticipated.  So much for folding laundry, guess I’ll do later!  I grab the only clean school outfit I can find for my son head down to start the day.  While the kids eat breakfast, I try to remind myself that this stressful start doesn’t have to ruin my day.  Then the girls I babysit come early, my son spills his entire bowl of cereal and milk on the only clean outfit, my daughter and the two year old I babysit dump the whole box of cereal on the living room floor to eat just the marshmallows, my son can find only one school shoe and forgot to tell me he was out of lunch money and the bus is 2 minutes away. I find the shoe, write a check for lunch, and push him out the door as the bus pulls up to the stop. 

As he pulls away I thank God that somehow we survived that morning.  So the girls are fighting about who is going to go to preschool today (the two year old who doesn’t go to preschool is insisting that she is going today), the dog is eating the non marshmallow cereal (at least I don’t have to vacuum), and I remember its weigh in day!  I go back upstairs and get on the scale.  293!!  Yay! 17 lbs lost in 3 weeks.  I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You will make it and I can relate to every single word you speak - thank God for tooth fairy believing kids, ninja husbands and vacuum cleaner dogs - thank God for friends who understand and thank God for you~!!! LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete