Sunday, October 10, 2010

Strong Saturday


This is my first “normal” weekend at home since I started this year to a better me.  Normally on weekends home, especially in the fall, I plan my weekends around food.  It starts on Friday with ordering some sort of take out.  Then on Saturday morning, after I figure out what I am in the mood for and make my list, I go to the grocery store and spend around $100 for us for a weekends worth of food.  I usually bake in the fall, so there is always some treat on the list.  Meals include comfort food meals, including a BIG breakfast for at least one of the mornings and usually the other morning is doughnuts or cinnamon buns.  Then I come home and cook and we sit on the couch and play games, watch movies and EAT. 

 On this particular October Saturday, God blessed us with a gorgeous and unseasonably warm day!  So I didn’t focus on food at all.  We had oatmeal for breakfast and headed outside.  We cleaned the yard and put away some of the “summer things” to get prepared for the inevitable cooler weather.  Instead of my hubby cutting the grass as he always does, I decided I would do it to get my exercise in!  So I cut our grass AND the neighbors.  I even had to do a big part of it twice because the grass was so long.  I doubted a few times that I could finish the whole task and even told my husband he would have to finish. But I pushed through!  It kicked my butt!!!  But I didn’t give in to the stinkin thinkin in my head that told me I wasn’t strong enough.  I finished the whole thing and still had energy to do some major cleaning outside!  The first part of my day proved that I am physically stronger than I give my self credit for.


The second half of my day proved to me that I was emotionally stronger than I thought I was.  A good friend of mine is getting married next fall, so I had plans to meet her for dinner and do some wedding planning.  I even picked the restaurant and looked the menu up on-line before going so that I knew what to choose instead of acting on impulse and making a mistake with my meal choice.  Since I was spending the evening out of the house, I told my husband to order some pizza for him and the kids, guilt free : ) 

So they left to run some errands and pick up the pizza while I got ready to go.  I was feeling so good about everything, about my food decisions, about finishing the grass cutting task earlier in my day, about how I was feeling, etc.  So I was literally on my way to meet my friend when my husband called.  His truck died and he was stuck on the side of the road with both kids…  BUMMER!!!  So, I called my friend (who was in from out of town and I never get to see by the way) to tell her that I can’t meet her.  I headed to pick up the stranded fam. 

When I get there he tells me that he hasn’t picked up food yet, and he is bringing food home for the neighbors too, so I have to figure that out…  now for a non-food addicted person, that would seem like a small task…  for me it threw me for a loop.  I have spent the last 2 weeks not tempting myself and not stressing about food!!!  When I had to, it really upset me at first. 

 It ended up working out, I talked to the neighbors and they weren’t starving, so we waited for my husband to pick up pizza as planned after he got the truck to the garage.  I made a big salad, and we spent the evening outside eating dinner and playing with the neighbors on a beautiful fall evening!  I only ate one small piece of pizza and a lot of salad.  AND, better yet, when I was running in the yard and playing with the kids, I was able to move a lot better than I was even two weeks ago!
All of this effort is paying off : )  I am strong and getting stronger!

1 comment:

  1. I keep saying that I am proud of you - but it keeps being true!!

    You are stronger *physically & emotionally* than you know!

    the law mowing alone is enough to impress me:)

    ReplyDelete