Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Christmas "Present"


I struggle with anxiety.  I always have for as long as I can remember.  I worry way too much about the future and all of the things that could go wrong.  I worry about things beyond my control, so I concentrate on things I think I can control…  like the perfect Christmas.  I have gone to the hospital twice in the past 8 years because of chest pain…  both have been in early December.  Both times I was sent home with a clean bill of health and told to deal with my anxiety!

A huge part of recovery is living in the moment.  Recovering addicts live one day at a time.  Or at least we try to.  It’s the ONLY way to succeed in recovery.  When I think about never eating certain things again, I get overwhelmed.  When I think about not eating right now, I am fine with that! 

When I think about all of the inevitable “bad” things that will happen in my life, I freak!  I can’t breath.  I worry about who I am going to loose... Who is going to get sick.  But if I think about right now, everyone is fine, I am fine! 

Thank God I don’t know what will happen to me and my family in the future.  Even though some days I wish I knew exactly what is ahead of us.  Can you imagine knowing what is out there in our futures… Good and Bad???  That is NO way to live!

When I live in the future, or the past, I am driven by fear and regret.  I am consumed with all of the “what ifs!”  For so much of my life I have not REALLY been living!  My mind is constantly in motion.  I long for the peace that I am promised by living life as a recovering food addict.  Although I have not been overeating, I am still struggling with letting go of those fears and living in the now.

I have had more and more tastes of that peaceful way of life though.  I feel like I was getting close and for some reason started to take back control…  I think it is this time of year.  The chaos of the holiday and birthday season.  Trying so hard to make everyone happy.  To be a good mom.  I feel like I need to be super mom during this month.  There are so many things to remember.  My to-do list is miles longer than normal and I start to lose my focus. 

My gift to myself this year needs to be to take care of me and enjoy my family this Christmas.  To live in the moment.  To enjoy the times I have with my kids instead if worrying about what I have or haven’t done.  Today is my gift…  That’s why it is called the PRESENT !!!  

4 comments:

  1. love this - true words have never been spoken - when you figure out exactly how to do this -LET ME KNOW:) MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meggie Bug! Saw your blog on Er's site...been reading...I am so proud of you lady! You are a very brave, strong woman. I know you can do this and achieve your goals. I miss living next door to you:) I know I'm not in touch very often, but wanted you to know I am cheering for you and I'm always here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Megs for touching my heart today! This journey is long and hard, but I have all the faith in the Lord that you will succeed. As I sit here and the tears stream down my face, knowing that these words you write are so much like mine, I know that each day gets just a little easier on the journey! Good luck and I'm behind you 100%! Our journeys have now collided! Prayers and love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Erin, I'll definitely let you know when I figure it out... don't hold your breath... love you mostest!

    @ Kate thanks for finding me:) And thanks for the love! I was so happy to see that you commented! Its been a long road since those carefree days of living together. Hope you all are well!

    @Lauren, So glad we chatted tonight... we are not ALONE, and it feels good to know that! thanks for the support!

    Keep reading ladies...

    ReplyDelete