Monday, January 24, 2011

Pittsburgh's Goin to the Super Bowl

Pittsburgh's Goin to the Super Bowl!

I am a Pittsburgh girl... born and bred to bleed black and gold.   I CANNOT describe what it is like to be a football fan in this great city.  We are the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The only NFL team to win 6 Super Bowl Championships.  The best thing about  being a Steelers Fan is being part of something so BIG!  

Steelers fans do not just reside in Pittsburgh.  It really is a Steelers Nation. 

One of the reasons for this was that when the big booming steel industry started to die down, jobs were lost, and many people had to move away from Pittsburgh and make homes in other cities.  They may have left the Burgh behind, but they took with them their Steelers Pride. There are Steelers bars all over this country.  Since that time, many others have moved for countless reasons, but you can't take away the Steeler fan attitude that means so much!  If you are not a true Steeler fan, you cannot understand what it feels like to be one.  It is beyond the sport.  It is a religion!

To be a Steeler fan living in Pittsburgh is the best feeling in the world.  The electric emotional feeling I get when I watch those boys run out onto the field, terrible towels waving, pure passion pulsing through everyone's veins, cannot even be put into words.  It brings me to tears almost every time!  As of last night, it is official...  we are heading to the Super Bowl again!  I cannot wait for these next two weeks!! 

To live here in this City is something that I am very grateful for.  I have learned so much about being proud of where you came from, about respecting our history, and about how to work hard, live hard, play hard and love hard.  On days like these, the excitement and anticipation can be truly felt just walking out of your house.  Excitement, passion, joy, and absolute faith in our team are evident everywhere.

I wish I could face each day with this same excitement and joy.  I know that my little life is not something that my city will be behind cheering for, but I want to make the decision right now to have that kind of belief and faith in myself, and in God, everyday.  The same kind of faith and belief that my great city has for the Pittsburgh Steelers!  I wont have theme songs and news coverage and a towels waving to cheer me on every step of the way.  But if I can wake up everyday with that kind of excitement about life, I know that I can make even bigger changes and get out of this "stuck" place that I have been in for the last few weeks.

So my preparations for this years big game won't be about food planning for the parties.  No Pierogies, chipped ham barbecues, chips, dips and Iron City for me...  Just soaking in the energy that is out there and using it to make more positive changes in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment